Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Will Eisner


     Will Eisner is the father of visual storytelling or what we now call comics. His work with the Spirit and A Contract with God are great examples of great visual storytelling. Overall I enjoy Eisner's storytelling but I am not the biggest fan of his style of art. His style of realism and stylized figures in my opinion is not that interesting. His style with the Spirit fit mainly because it was a cartoony subject matter but it was still portrayed in a sum what realistic manner. His style in Contract with God I feel did not really work mainly because it was a very emotional subject. In Maus I feel it worked nicely because it was very heavily stylized but in Contract With God it is on the border between realism and heavily stylized. I feel if he drew in a more realistic manner or a heavily stylized manner it could have been more effective. I feel this way because there are some very emotional aspects that I can’t experience the way it’s meant to be portrayed mainly because the style seems to fun. Overall Eisner is a master of storytelling and I respect him immensely but stylistically I feel he could have done a few things to help portray his subject matter better. Eisner is a master storyteller who created what we call comics today but to be completely honest I am not the biggest fan of some of his art. I know this sounds sacrilegious but I feel I have to be honest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment